Skip to main content

Why Do You Want To Kill Me?

"Why do you want to kill me?"  

Does a gold grill justify a black man's death?

Does a darker and sweaty complexion in Oklahoma summer heat warrant a black man's execution?

Does a muscular physique require lethal force to be used against a black man?

What is it about me that makes you want to kill me?

Does the bass of my voice make you feel inferior?

What is it about me that warrants death?

Is it my athletic figure? Does this make you want to kill me?

Is it the pain of my eyes? Is the burden too heavy to bear?

It is the brokenness of my soul? Does it bring you shame?

It is my strength? Does it make you want to conquer me?

Is it my disposition? Does it make you feel threatened?

Is it my displeasure with the way I've been treated? Should I stay in my place like a 'good boy'?

What is it about me that makes you say, "he looks like a bad guy?"

Is it the way I walk?

Please help me to understand.

What is it about me that makes me deserving of murder?

What it is about me that makes me inferior?

What is it about me that says I do not deserve to be treated like white men are?

What is it about my theology that makes it inferior to European and German theology?

What is it about me that says I am more undeserving of the life I've been given than a white person?

What is it about me that makes you hate my protest?

How else should I respond that would encourage you to listen?

What is it about me that says my kids do not need their father?

What is it about my children that they are not deserving of a dad?

What is it about my wife that says she does not need her husband?

What is it about my parents that says they do not need their son?

What is it about my sister that says she does not need her brother?

Why do you want to kill me?

Is it because I want to vote?

Is it because I want to go to 'your' bathroom?

Is it because I want to live in 'your' neighborhood?

Is it because I want to drink from 'your' fountain?

Is it because I want to go to 'your' school?

Is it because I want you to attend my church?

Why do you want to kill me?

Well, what about God?

What has He said about me that makes you want to kill me?

Is it because He loves me?

Is it because He made me in His image just like He did with you?

Is it because Jesus was born as a Jew?

Is it because he spent time with Samaritans?

Is it because he reconciled all people by His blood?

Is it because Gentiles and Jews alike can be saved?

Is it because Jesus gives the Holy Spirit to me, too?

Is it because He uses me to build His Kingdom, too?

Is it because I can preach and teach, too?

Is it because God has called me to ministry, too?

Please tell me...

Why do you want to kill me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friends Who Are Donald Trump Enthusiast

There is so much more to our Christian responsibility than our views on same-sex marriage and a child’s right to life. If I can be honest both of those areas are legitimate concerns but lazy excuses for wholeheartedly supporting a political party (or person) on either side of this democracy. For far too long we have allowed the conversation of political Christian ethics to be driven by the limiting (and debilitating for Christians of color) perception of single-issue voting. President Donald J. Trump has, by any stretch of the imagination, been a flawed representation of the American political process (at the very least) and who he is as a man has superseded his responsibility as the leader of the ‘free world’. I think it is also limiting (and politically lazy) to make his character and his presidency two mutually exclusive topics when we are voting for the person just as much as we are voting for a set of policies. What must be challenged, in the middle of this #impeachment, is not ...

White People Want Something From Black People They've Never Given to Us: Mercy

The issue of ending racism is much more complex than simply hugging a police officer or ‘hugging the hate away’. The issue is not a ‘lack of love’ from this black person to a police officer but a lack of justice. How can I hug someone (ultimately an institution) who is withholding justice from me?  We have been hugging white people since Trayvon was murdered in 2012.  We have been hugging police since Michael Brown was murdered in 2014.  Yet to this day the same racist system remains in place. I do understand the sentiment of communicating an ethic of love that embodies the best of humanity. This black person hugging this officer is powerful. But the ONLY redeeming quality of this photo is that, time and time again, black people are inviting our perpetrators to a better way of living and being.  Black people are CONSTANTLY and incessantly asking white people to take their knee off of our throats. Year-after-year we we meet white violence with black grace. Ye...

Open Letter to the American Church: In Response to Donald Trump's Tweet on the Death of Edwin Jackson

To the American Church, Enough is enough. I’ve had enough. Many God-fearing hard working people have had enough. Many people of all ethnicities have had enough. We have all had enough of the deceptive, divisive, disrupting, inhuman and inhumane rhetoric that is being echoed through the once most prestigious elected position in the world: The office of the President of the United States of America. Time and time again I have sat back a refused to address him personally because I realize that President Donald J. Trump is not the real issue. The ideology and factions that built, promote and encourage his linguistic ferocity are the real issue. Those who voted for him yet refuse to hold him and his accomplices accountable for his rhetoric and actions are the real issue. Those who sit in the corner in complicit silence while refusing to acknowledge the pain most black and brown people feel as we are constantly degraded and attacked are the real issue. There is a sickness in America tha...